People often want to attend local events happening around them, and businesses and organizations want to get the word out about events they are hosting, but there is a disconnect between the two.
Harbinger is a mobile app designed to make sure people don’t miss out on great events by connecting them with local businesses and organizations.
1) Validate the problem.
2) Test a solution.
3) Keep the app focused and not overloaded with features.
This was a personal project where I performed the entire design process on my own.
Before I really jumped into trying to find a solution to the problem of knowing about fun events going on, I wanted to first uncover if this was a problem other people were having. I went out and talked to people about how they currently go about finding out about events happening in their community. I probed for their actual past behaviors to see if I could gain any insights that would help design a better solution at the same time as seeing if this was a real frustration in the first place.
- Ethnographic Interviews
This research also helped me prioritize features. For example, at first I did not have the intention of creating a friending system within early versions of the app, but then multiple people brought up the importance of friends impacting their decision to attend an event or not. This made me realize the need for a user to see if a friend was going to an event before they made the decision to attend themselves.
While there was potentially a very general audience for this kind of application, I knew I wanted to target a very specific type of person who would be more likely to serve as an early adopter and who felt the most pain regarding this problem. Based on the types of people that I surveyed and interviewed, someone younger and working in technology made sense as well as “empty nesters” looking to fill up free time.
I put together a user flow document to demonstrate how a person would work their way through the application. Because I wanted to limit the number of features in early versions, the flow document served as a fast way to work through requirements and also figure out the organization of the app at the same time.
Based on the simple user flow I put together, I started sketching out screens and writing down ideas about the visual structure of the app. Sketching allowed me to quickly play around with different ideas and try out different solutions to see what would make sense.
Wireframe & Prototype:
After putting together sketches, I went on to create wireframes. I put the majority of the focus on the layout and visual hierarchy but also on the copy. I wanted to integrate as much real copy here as I could to see how the wording would have an impact on the interactions within the app. Using the wireframes (and later on higher-fidelity mockups), I put together an InVision prototype in order to gain feedback from potential users.
That’s it for now! Thanks for sticking around to read about this project. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to discuss it in more depth.